Sunday, March 2, 2014

Social Networking: Helpful or Harmful?

 Social Networking is becoming a regular topic of interest these days, even in schools.  I know that many people are all for using it in the classroom, while there are also plenty of people against it.  I have to be honest in saying that I haven't used it in my classroom as I haven't really found that it has a place being that I teach 5 year olds.  They are still trying to learn how to be social with each other IN PERSON, so I don't feel the need to expose them to social networking sites which will only complicate things further at this point in their lives.  

In general, I think as long as kids are careful and responsible while using social networking sites such as Twitter or Facebook, they are valuable for staying connected and in touch with friends and family, but I don't feel that has a place in the classroom.  I don't necessarily feel that it is devoid of any educational value, because they use their writing and reading skills, maybe more than they would if it didn't exist.  They could just sit in front of the TV or play video games instead so I'd say that social networking is at least better than that.  It's just extremely important that kids are using these sites appropriately so they don't end up in dangerous situations. 

I think when kids explore social networking in interest-based ways that can be a really good thing.  It shows that they have the capability and the initiative to discover things beyond what they are learning in school or even at home. I find that with my own students they learn so much more when they are interested in a topic and I think that can be said for anyone.  As long as they are being cautious, I see the educational purpose in allowing students to use social media to be able to seek out their own personal interests and passions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment